Summer Guide Cape Cod

Summer Guide Cape Cod 2020

Issue link: http://summerguide.uberflip.com/i/1250523

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 131 of 147

www.summerguidecapecod.com 130 British war ship never seized the town cannon, even after shots were fired back and forth between the two troops. Today, the scars from the HMS Nimrod's cannonball shots can still be seen on several Falmouth buildings. During the Great Atlantic Hurricane of 1944, a cannonball was discovered in a fallen elm tree on the Village Green, which lies between North Main Street, West Main Street, and Palmer Avenue. The piece of elm tree with the cannonball shot from the HMS Nimrod is on display at the Falmouth Historical Society Museums on the Green, on 65 Palmer Avenue. After the war, whaling made its mark on the town in the 19th century. Thirteen Falmouth whale ships were built, and 52 voy- ages were made among them. In 1841, the last Falmouth whaling ship, The Commodore Morris, was built. Elijah Swift, who was active in maritime trade, built whaling vessels and co-owned a majority of the ships, including The Commodore Morris. Swift became a keen businessman in the bustling town. He gave the town the trees you can still see in the Vil- lage Green. The whaling industry came to a quick halt after oil was discovered in Pennsylvania in 1859, and the town economy switched gears. In the 1900s, agriculture became one of Falmouth's most profitable resources, with the native strawberry becoming the big cash crop. By 1920, Falmouth was known as the strawberry capital of the northeast. Another lucrative crop was cranberries, with more than 250 acres of cranberry bogs spread throughout East Falmouth by 1900. The two fruits were harvested at different times in the year. Sum- mer was ideal for strawberry harvests, and the fall produced cranberries. Farm workers did not hold seasonal jobs anymore; they now worked year-round. Immigrants from the Portuguese is- lands of the Azores and Cape Verde, who were living in New Bedford, Mass., came to Falmouth hoping to land jobs in the booming agricultural business. Factory owners in the area needed to export their finished products, leading to the development of a train route between Boston and Falmouth. After 1910 the train also gave tourism a boost. Tourists began taking the train to town from Boston, and the route was given the name of "The Flying Dude." The towns- people could often pick out the Bostonians by their fine clothes and where they were headed - the Oceanside of Woods Hole. One of those wealthy families aboard The Flying Dude was the Beebe family. They loved the town so much they wound up building churches which are still standing today, like the St. Barnabas Episcopal Church, on 91 West Main Street. The Beebe family's restored home, known as Highfield Hall, stands on 56 Highfield Drive and is open for those interested in viewing programs, concerts and art exhibitions, along with information about the history of the property. Immigrants and children working in a cranberry bog. Early 1900's photo by Lewis Hines, master investigative photographer for the National Child Labor Commitee. This 1911 photograph is the engine from the Old Colony Line which included the line from Boston to Woods Hole called "The Flying Dude".

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

view archives of Summer Guide Cape Cod - Summer Guide Cape Cod 2020